When you move in to your new rental home, there’s a lot of excitement as you get all your belongings settled in their new places. And after the hustle of moving, it’s tempting to want to sit down in your new home and rest.
That’s coming, but there’s one more critical step to complete first: the move-in checklist.
It’s important that you complete this checklist within 48 hours of moving in to ensure you’re not held responsible for any existing damages or wear. When you move out, this information helps you get your deposit back.
In fact, 90% of our tenants who complete this move-in checklist get their security deposit back within seven days of moving out.
You can see what a checklist is like here. As you complete it, you’ll want to examine every part of your home, making notes about whether the item or area needs cleaning, painting, repair, or replacement:
- Floors, walls, ceilings, carpets, stairs, and doors.
- Windows, including shades, blinds, and other coverings.
- Lights, fixtures, and outlets.
- Sinks, showers, and toilets (check function as well as appearance).
- Screens, cabinets, drawers, and closets.
- Appliances (inside and outsides, timers and controls, all accessories).
- Water heater, thermostat, and air conditioning.
- Garage, yard, and fence, if applicable.
Check each room carefully. It takes some time, but it will be worth it in a year or more when it’s time to move out and receive your security deposit. You don’t want to be blamed and held responsible for damage done by the previous tenant. The move-in checklist ensures you won’t be. Fill it out, and send it back to Golden Gate Properties within 48 hours of moving in.